Welcome to Chemistry 201 taught by Prof. J. Walker Fall 2019.
Chemistry 201 - General Chemistry I Course Catalog Description
Topics include the periodic table of the elements, atomic structure, basic concepts of quantum theory, bonding, stoichiometry of compounds and reactions, thermochemistry, the gaseous state, basic concepts of the liquid and solid states, solutions, acids and bases. Writing assignments, as appropriate to the discipline, are part of the course.
Prerequisite: Completion or concurrent enrollment in Mathematics 140 or higher and either Grade of C or better in Chemistry 121 or one year of high school chemistry.
4 lecture and 4 lab hours per week in a 16 week semester. 5 credit hours
Students may take this course to meet concentration or elective requirements for an Associate Degree, to fulfill requirements for a career occupational degree, or to prepare for other careers in the physical sciences or healthcare professions.
Note: Chemistry 201 has an IAI code of CHM 911. You can learn more about IAI by visiting iTransfer.
Prof Joy Walker
Tuesday: 11:30 to 12:00
Thursday: 4:15 to 4:45
Office Room: L385
Hiking on Glaciers
Currently I'm an adjunct professor at Wright College, City Colleges of Chicago. I've been teaching for over 35 years. I love to learn and share my enthusiam for learning. My first love is chemistry but I also enjoy learning about science, gardening, cooking and baking, linguistics and languages, drawing and painting, and reading. I believe we learn best when we are curious, excited, interested and engaged in our own learning processes.
Recommended Links for General Chemistry One
- ChemTours: Interactive media with voice over
- Chemical Reactions: Qualitative Analysis of Silver, Mercury(I) and Lead
- Chemical Reactions: The Case of the Five Droppers
- Redox: Oxidation States
- Thermodynamics: The Coffee Cup Calorimeter
- Quantum Theory: Simulation of Black Body Radiation
- Quantum Theory: Simulation of the Photoelectric Effect
- Quantum Theory: Schrödinger's Cat - Video
- Quantum Theory: Schrödinger's Cat - Wikipedia
- Molecular Structure: 3D Interactive Molecular Visualization of Symmetry Elements and Operations
- Molecular Structure: Shapes of Molecules
- Solutions: Concentration Conversions
- Course Practice & Review: Animations
- Course Practice & Review: Chemistry Drills
- Course Practice & Review: Chemistry Study (Flash) Cards
- Electron chain video