What is Psychology?
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior.
Key Vocabulary: Neuropsychology and Behavioral Neuropsychology, Cognitive and Perceptual Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Counseling, Experimental Psychology, Industrial Psychology, Social Psychology
Unit One: The Brain and the Nervous System
What is the difference between a brain and a mind?
Key Vocabulary: cerebral cortex, cerebellum, occipital lobe, temporal lobe, frontal lobe, parietal lobe, brain stem, cranium, spinal cord, nervous system, synapse, neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin, GABA and glutamate
- How the food you eat affects your brain | transcript | worksheet
- How Your Brain Works
- How to learn the major parts of the brain quickly.
- Left Brain Right Brain is a Myth | transcript | worksheet
- RSA Animate: The Divided Brain - Iain McGilchrist
- The Chemical Mind: Crash Course Psychology #3 | transcript
- My Stroke of Insight - Jill Bolte Taylor (TED2008)
- Ode to the Brain | transcript
Unit Two: Sensation and Perception
What is the difference between sensation and perception?
Key Vocabulary: perception, sensation, synesthesia, illusion, awareness, attention, visual, auditory
Sensation refers to the process of sensing our environment through touch, taste, sight, sound, and smell. This information is sent to our brains in raw form where perception comes into play. Perception is the way we interpret these sensations and therefore make sense of everything around us.
- Sensation and Perception: Crash Course Psychology #5
- 20 classic optical illusions that stump everyone
- Optical Illusions
- Do You Hear "Yanny" or "Laurel"
- What's It Like to Hear Colors? Synesthesia
- Test Your Awareness: Whodunnit?
- Selective Attention Test
Unit Three: Social Psychology
Are there cultural differences in body language?
Should decisions be based on empathy?
Key Vocabulary: body language, empathy, facial expression, cultural intelligence, gesture, offensive, cross cultural communication
- Body Language
- Shaping the Way We Think
Unit Four: Developmental Psychology
What does it mean to be normal?
Key Vocabulary: learning disability, ADHD, Asperger's syndrome, autism spectrum, psychosocial development, adolescence, cognitive development, learning styles, IQ, EQ
- Epigenetics: Nature vs Nurture
- Brains vs. Bias: Crash Course Psychology #25
- Adult ADHD: Mayo Clinic Radio
- The Myth of Learning Styles
Unit Five: Addiction
What is the difference between substance use and abuse?
Key Vocabulary: opiods, withdrawal, treatment, compulsive, dependence, chronic, euphoria, habit-forming, fatigue, nausea
- Understanding Drug Use and Addiction
- Opioid Overdose Crisis
- How the opioid epidemic became America's worst drug crisis every...
- The Opioid Crisis: Understanding American's Deadly Addition with Professor Thad Polk
- The case for prosecuting the Sacklers and other opioid executives
Unit Six: OCD and Anxiety
- OCD and Anxiety Disorders: Crash Course Psychology #29
- Anxiety Disorder Quiz
- The Science of Fear: Why Do I Like Being Scared?