Prof Joy Walker
Learning About Volcanos at Crater Lake
Currently I'm an adjunct professor emeritus for the City Colleges of Chicago. I was a tenured professor for 30+ years at Truman College. I love to learn and share my enthusiasm for learning. I have many interests. I enjoy learning about science, gardening, cooking and baking, linguistics and languages, drawing and painting, and literature. I believe we learn best when we are curious, excited, interested and engaged in our own learning processes.
On zoom by appointment. Request an appointment by email.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
I support this statement adopted by the Physical Science and Engineering department at Truman College
We are committed to equity, inclusion, diversity and success of students and staff. We retain a fundamental belief that all people belong and deserve fairness, justice, and inclusivity. Our strength comes from our diversity. We celebrate the visible and invisible qualities that make each person unique including, but not limited to, culture, race, gender, age, sexuality, ability, religion, national origin, gender identity and other identities. In the classroom we focus on treating everyone with dignity, respect, kindness, compassion, and civility. We value a community where all individuals from all levels can participate, contribute, and have a voice.
Resources for English Language Learners
- Ted Ed: Choose a 10-15 minute video and answer comprehension questions.
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab: Listen to 2-minute conversations, answer comprehension questions, read the dialogue, and learn new vocabulary
- Talk English: Listen to 2-minute conversations, answer comprehension questions and read the dialogue.
- Lyrics Training Listen to popular songs and write the missing words.
- ESL Fast: Listen to conversations, listen to essays, answer comprehension questions, write missing words, and learn vocabulary.
- Learn English: [British English] Listen to conversations, read transcripts, and answer comprehension questions.
- Rong Chang ESL Reading: REad news articles, short stories, novels, and conversations; listen to a native speaker reading; answer comprehension questions; and learn vocabulary.
- Breaking News English: Read short news articles and answer comprehension questions.
- Learn English: [British English] Read authentic texts including flyers, answer comprehension questions, and learn vocabulary.
- Conversation Topics: Pick a topic and challenge yourself to speak about that topic for 3 minutes.
- italki: Find a language exchange partner or sign up for a private tutor.
- Google: Type "English pronunciation: WORD for the word you want to hear, choose the accent, and listen to the pronunciation at different speeds.
- Many Things: Listen to corrent pronunciation of English minimal pairs and take a quiz.
- Perfect English Grammar: Take grammar quizzes about verbs in English
- Learn English: [British English] Read grammar lessons and take quizzes.
- Stickyball ESL Resources: Read example essays, read advice, and write about prompts.